Love is the most durable power in the world. Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.”

-- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Another Board Assignment

As a follow up to the conversation I had with our Board the other night I asked some follow up questions for self reflection (based on the first two article from Coleman McCarthy's Class on Nonviolence):

What are some ways in which I can begin to address the violence within me?

What are the ways the Board can support staff in addressing the many manifestations of violence (direct, cultural, and systemic)?

How does the broader and more inclusive definition of violence impact the way I understand my work with this organization)?

What tools do I need to incorporate nonviolence more fully into my personal and professional life?

What kind of internal work would I need to do to be willing to take on “voluntary redemptive suffering” for the causes I believe in?


The next set of articles I am asking them to read are: Nonviolent Response to Assault, Human Nature Isn’t Inherently Violent, and Axioms of Nonviolence all of which are listed in the previous link if you want to follow along.


I plan to have a more focused conversation next time using the following questions as a guide:

What are your typical responses when you feel threatened by others? How have they worked for you in the past?

How has violence worked in your life, and what have been the unintended consequences?

How has nonviolence worked?

How do you feel about the statement that humans are naturally violent? What does your experience teach you? Does it have to be this way?

What is justice? Are there ways to hold people accountable without resorting to an eye for eye justice? What would that look like?

I can't wait to hear from them what they think! How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment